Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sidelined

Well, coming off the Runner's High happened relatively quickly for me :-/ After the race on Saturday my shin splints are worse than ever, under the advice of my husband, my coach, and begrudgingly, myself, I have to give them some time to rest. Which sucks because all I want to do is run, and I know, I know, the whole point of resting them is so that I can run and that if I keep going as I've been going they'll just get worse and I'll be out for longer, but I want to run so bad that I just don't care! Except I'm smart enough to listen- damn it!

The plan is to take this week off from running, then try a mile or two on the treadmill next Tuesday, if i experience pain, then I'll repeat that plan, if I don't then I'll start running again, but will drop my weekly mileage by half just to insure and I don't re-aggravate them. Those suckers hurt like a B! I'm hoping I'll only have to take a week off, two at the most so cross your fingers for me. I'm so paranoid that I'm going to lose all the hard work I've done, but it is what it is. My parents are coming into town on Wednesday evening and staying until Sunday morning for Mother's Day so I'm super excited about that and it will definitely help to keep my mind off of not being able to run.

In the meantime, I'd been planning on adding in some strength training and cross training into my weekly regiment to help strengthen me as a runner overall and now I don't have any excuses not to. The plan is to take a spin class on the days that I would normally run (3 days), do full body strength training two days a week, and do a yoga/pilates/ab work day each week. If I get into the routine then switching from spin to running should be a breeze and I'll perhaps consider replacing one of the two strength training days with a spin day just to keep myself well rounded overall. I'm excited to start it, but not as excited as I'll be when I get to run again.

Also, the plan in before I start back into running in a week or two, is to get fitted for some new running shoes. I hear the right pair does wonders to get rid of shin splints. Here's hoping.

Now I'm off to read some more of my serial killer book.

No comments:

Post a Comment